Two summers ago, I designed a pattern for a stuffed toy dragon whelpling. Now, I’ve finally completed my initially planned set of five, representing the original dragonflights:
After making the first one with green velveteen, I decided to use fancy fabrics for all the others, too. The black is a costume pleather, the red is a glitter-dusted satin, the blue is a stretchy spangled stuff that was a real pain to work with on the sewing machine, and the bronze is a brocade with the “wrong” side out. The contrast material for all of them is crepe-backed satin, which can be edge-finished by singeing with a candle flame.
I revised the pattern somewhat after the first one, creating new, more symmetrical pieces for the belly and the top of the head. Two variations for the top of the head are given. The pattern pieces do not include a seam allowance. I cut most of the pieces with ~1/4th inch seam allowance and the wings with no seam allowance.
click to see the full-size pattern image, or send me an email to get the pattern in pdf format
Along with the main body fabric (A) and the contrast fabric (B), you will also need 6 mm pipecleaners to stiffen the leading edges of the wings, 5/8th inch (15 mm) double-faced satin ribbon to cover the pipecleaner on the wings, red 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) rickrack for the mouth, white 10/0 glass seed beads for the teeth, pea-sized beads for the eyes, black felt for the horns, and coordinating thread.
To make the horns, cut a circle of felt with a radius of the desired length of the horn. Cut the circle into pie-segment thirds. Wrap two of the thirds into cones and stitch up the edges with black thread, then sew the cones onto the head.